Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Friday, May 29, 2020
SME
To contribute to these and use other features, please register.
LATEST DISCUSSIONS
Delight Tailoring Fashion &, Design School Nair... [3]
Vendors that defraud banks-Software Universe [15]
Motor Vehicle Transfer Help [9]
GoldenScapes [12]
e-Citizen Gateway to ALL government services [34]
import of used clothing [8]
Short-let Business Investment [6]
When your employer does not remit Pay As You Earn [16]
SEO Marketing [3]
Uber as an Investment [94]
Andela Lay-offs [9]
Tea and Coffee farming [7]
insurance claim [16]
Reselling Internet [6]
Holding Company in Kenya [6]
 
Forum Jump








Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<12345>
Uber as an Investment
Thitifini
#41 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 4:34:21 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 1/15/2015
Posts: 633
Location: Kenya
Gathige wrote:
Liv wrote:
Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
kangi wrote:
penkon wrote:
gatoho wrote:
streetwise wrote:
Just like a kiosk, its a do it yourself business

No its not. There are people with fleets in uber


true there are people i know with like 50+


You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


whose that governor who put in 80+ uber cars on the streets? eish!


Problem in Kenya is that we copy each other too much and we suffer from "grabbiosis".... Everyone now is buying vehicles to put under uber....or one of the other companies. Unless the entry is controlled we will have some oversupply soon.



But that is good for the consumer. A colleague who has a teenage Son told me of how whenever he want to go to town with his peers, they just hail an uber, and it comes, they share the cost. Taxis are now becoming easily available. I know of corporates who now want o go the uber way- Just hail and pay, without having a contracted taxi co.
.

PwC have gone uber now.

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
Gathige
#42 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:40:51 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/29/2011
Posts: 2,135
Thitifini wrote:
Gathige wrote:
Liv wrote:
Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
kangi wrote:
penkon wrote:
gatoho wrote:
streetwise wrote:
Just like a kiosk, its a do it yourself business

No its not. There are people with fleets in uber


true there are people i know with like 50+


You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


whose that governor who put in 80+ uber cars on the streets? eish!


Problem in Kenya is that we copy each other too much and we suffer from "grabbiosis".... Everyone now is buying vehicles to put under uber....or one of the other companies. Unless the entry is controlled we will have some oversupply soon.



But that is good for the consumer. A colleague who has a teenage Son told me of how whenever he want to go to town with his peers, they just hail an uber, and it comes, they share the cost. Taxis are now becoming easily available. I know of corporates who now want o go the uber way- Just hail and pay, without having a contracted taxi co.
.

PwC have gone uber now.



Good to know that. That's a good indirect endorsement.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Chaka
#43 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:24:22 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/16/2007
Posts: 2,114
Thitifini wrote:

PwC have gone uber now.

So its like PWC has many employees here and they are always on the move?
doubletap
#44 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 5:37:21 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 7/17/2014
Posts: 112
Location: Wherethewindblows
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?
You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else - Albert Einstein
mawinder
#45 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2016 8:18:54 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 4/30/2008
Posts: 6,023
doubletap wrote:
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?

Can't the driver occasionally switch off Uber to do his own stuff??
Lolest!
#46 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2016 12:04:18 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/18/2011
Posts: 11,995
Location: Kianjokoma
mawinder wrote:
doubletap wrote:
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?

Can't the driver occasionally switch off Uber to do his own stuff??

They do!

Also, as one of them pointed out, you can also collude with clients to cancel trips. Then driver pockets trip amount
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Mkondoa Macho
#47 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2016 6:42:22 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 2/7/2016
Posts: 79
Location: Home
Lolest! wrote:
mawinder wrote:
doubletap wrote:
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?

Can't the driver occasionally switch off Uber to do his own stuff??

They do!

Also, as one of them pointed out, you can also collude with clients to cancel trips. Then driver pockets trip amount

Sometimes I tend to think that investing in the transport industry (where you dont drive the vehicle yourself) only makes sense for high capacity vehicles e.g 33 seaters and above for these reasons.
- The stress of a 33 seater is more or less the same as that of a 14 seater or a cab (uber). If the stress of managing is the same, a higher capacity vehicle makes more sense.
- Whether you like it or not, the cops, the crew and mechanic are out to fleece you. With a high capacity vehicle, you will still be left with a reasonable amount after the thuggery (above 8k). It makes more sense to leave your house to go and collect 8k than 3k or less from low capacity vehicles. The amount of fuel you will use etc is constant hence makes better sense if you have a high capacity vehicle.
- A high capacity vehicle depreciates at a lower rate than a low capacity vehicle.
- A high capacity vehicle has minimal pressure to upgrade. For instance, nobody checks the number plate of a high capacity vehicle because the age is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is it's condition. You can have your bus for over five years without seeing a major decline in earnings as long as it remains in tip-top condition. For Uber or a 14 seater, you get relegated as the vehicle grows old...maybe 3 years max.

The only problem with high capacity vehicles is the large capital outlay. If I was to venture into the transport industry, I would start with a 14 seater and figure out how to get a 33 seater as soon as I get the necessary experience.
Swenani
#48 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2016 8:15:14 PM
Rank: User


Joined: 8/15/2013
Posts: 13,112
Location: Vacuum
Lolest! wrote:
mawinder wrote:
doubletap wrote:
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?

Can't the driver occasionally switch off Uber to do his own stuff??

They do!

Also, as one of them pointed out, you can also collude with clients to cancel trips. Then driver pockets trip amount


why woul I cancel a trip?There is cancellation trip fee charged on your next trip as a customer
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Mkondoa Macho
#49 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:03:27 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 2/7/2016
Posts: 79
Location: Home
Swenani wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
mawinder wrote:
doubletap wrote:
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?

Can't the driver occasionally switch off Uber to do his own stuff??

They do!

Also, as one of them pointed out, you can also collude with clients to cancel trips. Then driver pockets trip amount


why woul I cancel a trip?There is cancellation trip fee charged on your next trip as a customer

I would cancel if I get the ride, and the cost is significantly lower than the cancellation fee and the price the driver charges.
Angelica _ann
#50 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:06:13 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 11,461
Mkondoa Macho wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
mawinder wrote:
doubletap wrote:
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?

Can't the driver occasionally switch off Uber to do his own stuff??

They do!

Also, as one of them pointed out, you can also collude with clients to cancel trips. Then driver pockets trip amount


why woul I cancel a trip?There is cancellation trip fee charged on your next trip as a customer

I would cancel if I get the ride, and the cost is significantly lower than the cancellation fee and the price the driver charges.

Cancellation doesn't make financial sense to the client!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
mkenyan
#51 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 6:59:15 AM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 4/1/2009
Posts: 1,811
Lolest! wrote:
mawinder wrote:
doubletap wrote:
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?

Can't the driver occasionally switch off Uber to do his own stuff??

They do!

Also, as one of them pointed out, you can also collude with clients to cancel trips. Then driver pockets trip amount


drivers who keep on switching off the uber app tend to get suspended from using uber (fraud).

and as long as the uber app on the driver's phone is on they can track the driver. so it is easy for them to see the client calling for a trip to say the airport then cancelling only for the driver to go to the pick up point and travel all the way to the airport. uber fees are already pretty low, so makes no sense for a client cancel to get a cheaper ride. more so when you end up paying for it in your next ride. still, kenyans are a stupid lot generally, at times we make decisions against our own best interest.
Lolest!
#52 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 8:06:21 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/18/2011
Posts: 11,995
Location: Kianjokoma
Angelica _ann wrote:
Mkondoa Macho wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
mawinder wrote:
doubletap wrote:
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?

Can't the driver occasionally switch off Uber to do his own stuff??

They do!

Also, as one of them pointed out, you can also collude with clients to cancel trips. Then driver pockets trip amount


why woul I cancel a trip?There is cancellation trip fee charged on your next trip as a customer

I would cancel if I get the ride, and the cost is significantly lower than the cancellation fee and the price the driver charges.

Cancellation doesn't make financial sense to the client!!!

I think it does, depending on distance!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
KulaRaha
#53 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 8:22:15 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/26/2007
Posts: 6,467
You can track your car on their app...how will the driver do private trips unless he switches off his phone?
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Lolest!
#54 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 8:27:41 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/18/2011
Posts: 11,995
Location: Kianjokoma
mkenyan wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
mawinder wrote:
doubletap wrote:
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?

Can't the driver occasionally switch off Uber to do his own stuff??

They do!

Also, as one of them pointed out, you can also collude with clients to cancel trips. Then driver pockets trip amount


drivers who keep on switching off the uber app tend to get suspended from using uber (fraud).

and as long as the uber app on the driver's phone is on they can track the driver. so it is easy for them to see the client calling for a trip to say the airport then cancelling only for the driver to go to the pick up point and travel all the way to the airport. uber fees are already pretty low, so makes no sense for a client cancel to get a cheaper ride. more so when you end up paying for it in your next ride. still, kenyans are a stupid lot generally, at times we make decisions against our own best interest.

Really? I thought these guys have all apps-uber, mondo, sendy, little...
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Swenani
#55 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 9:36:30 AM
Rank: User


Joined: 8/15/2013
Posts: 13,112
Location: Vacuum
Lolest! wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Mkondoa Macho wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
mawinder wrote:
doubletap wrote:
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?

Can't the driver occasionally switch off Uber to do his own stuff??

They do!

Also, as one of them pointed out, you can also collude with clients to cancel trips. Then driver pockets trip amount


why woul I cancel a trip?There is cancellation trip fee charged on your next trip as a customer

I would cancel if I get the ride, and the cost is significantly lower than the cancellation fee and the price the driver charges.

Cancellation doesn't make financial sense to the client!!!

I think it does, depending on distance!


I thought cancellation fee is fixed at 200 bob?
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
mkenyan
#56 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 10:22:22 AM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 4/1/2009
Posts: 1,811
Lolest! wrote:
mkenyan wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
mawinder wrote:
doubletap wrote:
kangi wrote:

You only need good systems. The biz is growing. I have not one, two or three units, all do more than 60k a month.


Can you elaborate on the system of checks and balances that you use? tw.peas[at]gmail.com or here for all. 60K is net ama gross?

Can't the driver occasionally switch off Uber to do his own stuff??

They do!

Also, as one of them pointed out, you can also collude with clients to cancel trips. Then driver pockets trip amount


drivers who keep on switching off the uber app tend to get suspended from using uber (fraud).

and as long as the uber app on the driver's phone is on they can track the driver. so it is easy for them to see the client calling for a trip to say the airport then cancelling only for the driver to go to the pick up point and travel all the way to the airport. uber fees are already pretty low, so makes no sense for a client cancel to get a cheaper ride. more so when you end up paying for it in your next ride. still, kenyans are a stupid lot generally, at times we make decisions against our own best interest.

Really? I thought these guys have all apps-uber, mondo, sendy, little...

they do. i know of at least three different cases where the switching off of the app was one of the reasons for suspension of cars on their service. they monitor all sorts of behaviours. another one that they monitor and sanction is where drivers collude with clients such that the specific drivers get to pick the rides from said clients.
Gathige
#57 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:36:40 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/29/2011
Posts: 2,135
Uber is Great! Over the weekend, needed to move from Wilson Airport to Yaya Centre. Checked the yellow cabs and they told be the fare is 1k. Hailed an Uber and it charged me 350 Kes.

Long live Uber.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
streetwise
#58 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:44:17 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 6/23/2011
Posts: 1,739
Location: Nairobi
You are right, the yellow cabs are just that YELLOW.

Wonder why any one would use them ?
Gathige
#59 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:56:27 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/29/2011
Posts: 2,135
streetwise wrote:
You are right, the yellow cabs are just that YELLOW.

Wonder why any one would use them ?



I think the yellow cabs are the SI Unit for wrong price.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Ash Ock
#60 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2016 5:42:12 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 8/27/2010
Posts: 495
Location: Nairobi
Getting crowded?

Quote:
Safaricom-backed courier firm Sendy has terminated its online taxi hailing service to concentrate on its core logistics business at a time when competition in the cab sector is growing.

Sendy Ride, the on-demand taxi and motorcycle service offered by the company, was shut down last month after just two months in operation.

Meshack Alloys, the Sendy chief executive officer, said they have been piloting the taxi business and the decision to pull the plug on it will enable the company expand its courier services.

Competition in the taxi hailing business has been growing since San Francisco based Uber launched in January 2015, with companies like Mondo Ride, Little Ride, Taxify, Easy Taxi and Pewin now offering similar services.


More: http://www.businessdaily...460062-q7of3g/index.html
Sent from my Black Nokia 3310
Users browsing this topic
Guest
5 Pages<12345>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Home | . .. Investor | .. . Groups | .. . SME | . . . Market | .. . Club SK | . ..... About Wazua | . .. Search | . ..Sitemap | . ..Support | . ..Disclaimer | . ..Privacy Policy | . ..Terms of Use | . .. Contact Us
Copyright © 2020 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.